About Me

My photo
I'm just another guy who loves to travel, and this is where I'll write about the the sights, sounds, tastes, and people i come across in this big, bad, beautiful world. Stay tuned, if you so choose!

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cambodia Part 2: Angkor Wat: The SUPERPIX


After the novel-length entry I posted about my first day in Cambodia, I promised that I would keep this one light on the text and heavy on the pix. I aims to please ya’ll, and pictures are my preferred technique of encouraging reading; it’s positive reinforcement! It worked when I was a kid, and I still prefer books with pictures…

Welcome to Angkor Wat

Bigger than it looks, if you believe that

A small portion of the innumerable elaborate stone carvings littered about these temples
Continue on after the jump for a little more background and a lot more of my favorite pictures.


*QUICK BACKGROUND* - The architectural marvel known as Angkor Wat is Siem Reap’s (and probably Cambodia’s for that matter) greatest claim to fame, and the only reason that the city has become such a tourist hub. I won’t bore you with lots of facts, but for those of you who are interested, I would direct you to this website for starters. The bare basics are that: though Angkor Wat is the most important temple in the vicinity, there are, in fact, a great deal of bafflingly massive and timelessly beautiful ancient ruins in the surrounding area, and when visiting, one does not simply see Angkor Wat itself and leave. Some people even spend 7 days investigating every nook and cranny of every temple. I did 2 very full days, and it was an amazing experience, despite the hordes of Chinese tourist groups and my financial inability to afford a proper guide who could tell me all the stories of every place. Still snapped some solid photizzles, and I have compiled a small collection of some of my favorites. For those of you that waded through, or are yet to wade through (hint hint) my facebook album, let me know which photos you think should’ve made the cut by commenting on FB or here. It won’t change anything, but at least I'll know!..
Without further ado (yeah I said it), my Angkor photo gallery:

I exercised restraint and only included ONE concentric doorways picture
Who knows how the colors ended up on this carving; I just know it looks awesome

To me, the roots of this tree look like a huge hand, with the temple in its vice-like grip. To me at least...

Somebody needs to start paying me for this stuff

Two of the many faces of Bayon. Khmer Mt. Rushmore

Sunrise at Angkor Wat. Mostly rise, very little sun to speak of.

I just thought the crack in the ground was beautiful. There happened to be part of a temple behind it.

Maybe my favorite; You cant tell a jungle not to grow in a tropical climate! It's gonna do its thing regardless of what timeless artifacts are encroaching on it's progress.

"We have some extra building materials, where should we store them?.." Here's fine...
However big it looks, that's how big it was. Unless it looks small, in which case you'd be wrong

Cute

It was still raining while the sun was setting/this picture was taken. Too bad we didn't get a rainbow

No caption necessary (yes, I'm aware of the inherent irony of this)
Buddhist monks are crazy photogenic

I hope you enjoyed that refreshing change! Tune in next week to hear about the remainder of my vacation, which was far less active than the first 2.5 days. Still got some excellent pictures though, never fear.

3 comments:

  1. Many, many things about you make me jealous, but these photos are at the top of my list today. You are a great photographer! When you are done teaching, I see another career in your future. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics Ian! You are right about the one with the temple reflection. Someone should be paying you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian, that's incredible! Your pictures are unreal. And I just read some of your stories....hilarious!! Your time sounds like it's been quite the adventure and an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete