About Me

My photo
I'm just another guy who loves to travel, and this is where I'll write about the the sights, sounds, tastes, and people i come across in this big, bad, beautiful world. Stay tuned, if you so choose!

Saturday, February 19, 2011

****NON-CHRONOLOGICAL UPDATE****

****NON-CHRONOLOGICAL UPDATE****
So I know the world has been waiting patiently for my glorious return to blogging. I apologize to all, but Liebler and I were very busy with our Thai exploits, and this left very little time to record them, aside from taking pictures. The good news is, as anyone who knows me well is fully aware, I have a memory like a steel trap (…) and I will be able to recount all our adventures as if they happened yesterday.
Just a quick update on my current situation before delving into the last week of activites (there’s so much room for activities!):
I am currently in Bangkok again. 2 days ago, Liebler and I returned from Ko Chang, which was no small feat, as you’ll learn in a later post (cliffhanger!!). We stayed in a hotel directly next to the airport so that Liebler could catch his flight without difficulty, which departed at 7:30am yesterday. And like a ghost, Liebs vanished


So the past day and a half have been quite lonely I must say. I didn’t realize until Liebler was gone how alone I truly would feel in this foreign land, and it was honestly a bit much to deal with. But anything that doesn’t kill me is a lesson to be learned, and not all lessons feel good while you learn them. It’s all part of the spectrum of human experience, and while I don’t hope to return to that part of the spectrum any time soon, I’m grateful for the experience all the same.
So this afternoon I left the airport hotel for a brand new hostel nearer to the center of Bangkok (just opened on Valentine’s day).  On the way the driver and I made small talk in broken English, which I was frankly not really in the mood for, but I indulged him anyway. At one point he asked me if I’d gotten a massage yet, and I told him Lieber and I had twice received foot massages, with mixed results (sorry Liebby). He then proceeded to explain that he was not referring to a traditional Thai Massage, but the aptly named “Soap Massage,” and even handed me a brochure full of pictures of pretty Thai girls covered only by sudsy bubbles, seemingly enjoying themselves quite a bit. It was a somewhat sobering reminder of the prevalent nature of the sex trade here, an unfortunate yet ubiquitous dimension of the 3rd world. I politely said I’d consider it, but have absolutely no intention of supporting that particular industry.
After a 30 minute ride, we pull up to the freshly opened guesthouse, WE Bangkok:

It is awesome. I felt immediately better when I walked in the door, as I was greeted by the very friendly Thai girl at the desk, May.

The WiFi is fast and the lobby/coffee bar is comfortable, and all the Thais I have met are friendly and talkative. There is a pool table on the second floor and a rooftop bar, so I should have no problem meeting people here.
I should also have no problem blogging here. So ready yourself for the Blogsplosion!!

No comments:

Post a Comment